In this interview, we talk to Illinois Supreme Court Chief Justice Anne M. Burke about why every lawyer needs a mentor, the impact mentoring has had on her career and the careers of others, and why the Court launched the Commission’s Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program.
Want to earn free CLE and become a mentor or mentee with the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism? Sign up here.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay up to date on new videos from the Commission!
- 1:01 – Why is mentoring important in the legal profession?
- 1:35 – How has mentoring impacted your career as a lawyer and a judge?
- 4:51 – How have you seen mentoring impact the lives of others?
- 6:30 – Why did the Court launch a mentoring program for new lawyers?
- 9:48 – Information on how to become a mentor or mentee.
- Safeguard Your Career and Accelerate Growth with Mentoring
- Prioritize Professional Development with Virtual Mentoring
- Build Your Law Firm’s Social Capital From the Inside Out
Chief Justice Anne M. Burke
Anne M. Burke was born on Feb. 3, 1944, in Chicago. She received her B.A. degree in education from DePaul University in 1976 and her J.D. degree from IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1983.
She was admitted to the Federal Court, Northern District of Illinois, in 1983, the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit in 1985, and certified for the Trial Bar, Federal District Court in 1987. In that same year, Governor James Thompson appointed her Judge to the Court of Claims and, in 1991, she was reappointed by Governor Jim Edgar.
In April 1994, she was appointed special counsel to the Governor for Child Welfare Services. In August 1995, she was appointed to the Appellate Court, First District. In 1996, she was elected to the Appellate Court, First District, for a full term.
Justice Burke is a member of the American, Illinois State, Chicago, and Women’s Bar Associations, and the Illinois Judges’ Association.
Connect with the Illinois Supreme Court
- Website: http://illinoiscourts.gov/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/illinoiscourts
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Supreme-Court-of-Illinois-221671197850949
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/illinois-supreme-court/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBc2kE0mWb6XTXqQ6LnudLg
This episode was recorded on January 4, 2021.
Check out more videos from the Commission here.
The post Why Every Lawyer Needs a Mentor: A Conversation with Chief Justice Anne M. Burke appeared first on 2Civility.